Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Mayor Villaraigosa Out On The Trail

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is in the Granite State supporting his candidate of choice, Hillary Clinton. As a native Los Angelino who still votes in sunny Southern California, I felt like I had a right to talk to my mayor. His press secretary was happy to oblige me an interview.

Villaraigosa has recently received some criticism about his time out on the campaign trail for Senator Clinton but he calls this the “most important election in my lifetime.” He says that he feels America is on the wrong track right now and that “Hillary Rodham Clinton is the best candidate able to hit the ground running on the first day,” which sounds familiar since her most common phrase in stump speeches is “ready on day one.”

Villaraigosa endorsed Senator Clinton back in May when she was “inevitable.” Since then, her star has begun to fade but he remains a supporter. That being said, Villaraigosa made a point of saying “my support for Hillary Clinton’s candidacy has nothing to do with opposition for any of the other candidates, it has everything to do with the fact that I’ve known her.” That way he covers his bases so that whomever ends up with the nomination knows Villaraigosa is on their side (and would be happy to report for duty).

Villaraigosa said that “the rest of the nation had an opportunity to see the Hillary Clinton I know yesterday,” referring to Hillary’s emotional moment on the campaign trail, sayng that she is “a woman of passion, a woman of deep emotion, a woman who cares about America and the direction we’re in and wants to chart a new course for America.” He isn't giving up yet on Hillary, saying that her campaign will make adjustments, keep up the energy, and forge ahead. 

I have heard time and time again, including from the mayor, that this race reminds people of the Democratic competition in 1968 where Bobby Kennedy, Hubert Humphrey, and Eugene McCarthy duked it out for the nomination. Unlike Mayor Villaraigosa, the majority of people I talk to compare it when discussing how Barack Obama reminds them of the hope and movement that Bobby Kennedy inspired. Last night a friend of mine said with a look of panic that Obama is going to get assassinated because that’s how America responds to inspiring leaders. I doubt that was the feeling that Villaraigosa was trying to express to me when reporting his feeling of nostalgia but hearing 1968 made my heart skip a beat. I understand the comparison but God I hope its a different reality. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the 1968 analogy - obviously Clinton is Humphrey, the stalwart establishment candidate trying not to go too overborad with the antiwar message. I guess that makes Edwards McCarthy? The lefty, antiwar darling of the campuses?